Feed on
Posts
Comments

Talking about technology

Some good advice from Brian Croseby at Learning is Messy via Dean Shareski at Ideas and Thought from an EdTech

I struggle with explaining something that is becoming such an everyday part of my life. My words seem trite and clumsy simple as I attempt to articulate big concepts such as social networking, global conversations, creating your own content and on and on. I think I need to ratchet back on my words and ratchet up on conveying my passion.

Here is how Dean Shareski , Curriculum Consultant from Moose Jaw Saskatchewan describes his experience:

“You can’t just show most people – you have to show them and explain it to them and then answer their questions and then show it to them again and then explain it to them again and then show them how this relates to things they already do – takes the place of this and makes it even better and does this and this and this! I’m telling you they will think the vodcast was kinda cool… would be an interesting thing for their kids to do once if they had the equipment and the time and someone to show them how to do it. But they won’t get it until they experience you doing it and getting them to do it…several times … and talk about it and have them notice their students’ reaction and learning and how they talk about it and how excited their parents get about it.”

I’m passionate about this stuff as most of you are. Reading this entry makes me think about how we might encourage teachers more:

Our passions often represent something about who we are. For many of us, the thing we’re passionate about is not just a hobby, product, service, cause, etc… it’s a way of life.. Ted Leung explainined to me that as a result of his relatively recent passion for photography, he “sees the world differently now.” Passionate golfers have apparently elevated golf to some kind of spiritual status–it is, for them, about much more than just hitting a ball with a stick. Ditto with fly fishing (it’s apparently not about the fish or the flys). The guys from 37signals offer much more than software apps… they represent a philosophy (the whole “getting real/it-just-doesn’t-matter” thing). MindJet’s Mind Manager not a mind-mapping tool, it’s a way of thinking.